This great italianate mansion dominates both Trenton and Marion streets. Unlike the more familiar side hall style, this house has a center hall with a grand staircase plan giving it much larger living area and presence. The front welcomes you with a grand entryway, with bay windows on each side.
Ornamentation is quintessentiall italianate - double corbels supporting a flat roof with deep overhangs. 2 over 2 windows, also typical to italianate era, are adorned by decorative balconies on the second floor side facing Marion st. Even though the house is wood framed, it is not sided with familiar clapboards. Instead, it is covered with ashlar block veneer - wooden boards designed to resemble stone blocks. The corners feature wooden quoins, also imitating stone. The original paint colors were likely chosen to look like stone as well.
William Waters Jr. - coppersmith, plumber and gas fitter owned this house since 1869. He then sold 57 Trenton to the Maverick Congregational church in 1886 and moved to another large residence at 82 White St.
Under the Maverick Congregational Church ownership, the house served as a parsonage. The drawing of it appeared in “Condensed Manual and History of Maverick Congregational church”. However the drawing differs from the current house appearance. Front window bays as well as rear rooms are missing. Those were likely added sometime during church’s ownership of the house in 1890s or early 20th century.
Research by: Vitaliy Zakharov, Carl Paleologos, Thomas Whidden