- Boston Landmark Commission Report - report on the designation of 41 Princeton St as landmark.
41 Princeton Street was constructed c.l875 for use as a single family, attached row house. The property continues to be used as a single family residence.
Both 41 Princeton and 39 Princeton constitute a historic district. A smallest historic district in Boston.
The Joseph Henry Stevenson House at 41 Princeton Street is located in the western portion of Eagle Hill, the focus of the earliest concentrated residential development. Most structures in this area were constructed in two major periods, the 1840s to c. 1870, and the late 1880s to c. 1900. Speculative construction after the 1890s, in the form of 2 and 3 family houses, filled the remaining vacant lots of Eagle Hill. Many buildings in the district have undergone alterations; the application of artificial siding and alteration of roof lines are the most prevalent.
The Stevenson House is a single family rowhouse attached on the northwest side to the Stephen Huse Whidden House at 39 Princeton Street, a brick townhouse of a different design built ll years earlier. The two dwellings stand directly on the sidewalk, facing northwest onto Princeton Street. The buildings are surrounded by frame residences on all sides, with the exception of the brick, Joseph Barnes School, which stands to the east of the rowhouses. Two small street trees in front of the buildings are the only landscape features. There are no outbuildings.
41 Princeton Street is rectangular in plan with a polygonal bay at the northeast corner. The structure is two bays wide, two and a half stories tall with a raised basement. The building is topped by a straight mansard roof covered with grey, slate fish-scale shingles. Highly decorative iron cresting ornaments the roof. Four dormers protrude from the mansard roof; three of which are on the dormer. The gabled dormers are articulated with decorative engaged wood colonettes and carved capitals in a Gothic-style design of acanthus leaves and a four petaled flower. Below the stone cornice one brick course is laid in a decorative sawtooth pattern. The facade is two bays wide; one bay is flat, the other is polygonal. The window sash is two over two and covered by exterior metal storm windows. The window lintels on the first two floors are sandstone with an incised scroll design on either side of a central floral motif. The building material, including the foundation is red brick; the brick in the front elevation was laid with very narrow mortar joints. A sandstone beltcourse delineates the basement from the first floor. The entrance retains its original walnut doors. The incised scroll pattern found in the window lintels is repeated in the brackets for the wooden canopy over the front entrance. The canopy, recently restored, has been painted a sandstone color based on evidence that it was originally sand-painted to imitate the sandstone used elsewhere in the building. Ceramic tiles with a geometric design are set in the brick on either side of the entry. The front steps are sandstone and have a simple iron hand rail.
The polygonal bay extends from the basement through the mansard roof. The bay has quarter round corners and a flat front, unlike the typical straight angle bay or bow front. Each of the three sides of the bay have double hung two over two windows. The rear facade has a three-story angled polygonal bay which ends at the cornice. The straight mansard roof has two simple rectangular dormers. The rear window lintels are brick arches.